Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Top Ten Films of 2013


My Top Ten of 2013

Here we are at the end of another fantastic year in film. As always, this list was extremely difficult to compose. Once again, I feel the need to clarify and justify my choices. I choose my Top 10 based on my feelings for the film, regardless of critical acclaim or universal acceptance. Many of my choices are critically acclaimed, but there are some that are not. The common denominator is that I loved these films, even if some are less reputable than others. Your Top 10 will undoubtedly be different than mine and so it should be. Films make people feel differently. What one person hates in a particular film, another person might love. So, with that in mind let's move on. Here are the critically acclaimed films I have NOT yet seen: Before Midnight, Fruitvale Station, The Butler, Rush, Enough Said, All Is Lost, Blue Jasmine, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Frozen, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, and The Wolf of Wall Street. Looks like I got some catching up to do. And now, here are my Top Ten Favorite Films of 2013:




10) Man of Steel

I know there were many fanboys that were upset with what Zack Snyder and David S. Goyer did with this beloved superhero. I know the action is excessive and that this film is not without faults. I still loved it. I loved Hans Zimmer's score, the flashback sequences, the cinematography, and the emphasis that Clark is an alien to this world. The last five minutes are some of my favorite moments from any film this year. Those final scenes have Christopher Nolan's stamp all over them. It left me excited for more.



9) The Way Way Back

There is usually an indie gem that I just fall in love with, and this year it was this charmer. Sam Rockwell nearly steals the movie from a great supporting cast. His character reaffirms your faith that good people do exist. This is a story that all can relate to and it is a breath of fresh air to see. I loved it.


8) Side Effects

This was a film I knew little about other than it is supposedly Steven Soderbergh's final major motion picture. I was pleasantly surprised by this smartly written and directed thriller. Jude Law gives one of his best performances to date. I loved the twist and turns and still found it enjoyable upon a second viewing. One of the best thrillers of the past few years.


7) Saving Mr. Banks

Like any film based on a true story, there is likely more fiction than truth present in what we see. This film is no exception to that from what I've read, but this was a very well-made drama with great performances from Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, and Colin Farrell, who has his best role in years. I loved how director John Lee Hancock transitioned between the flashbacks of Travers childhood and her difficult collaboration with Walt Disney and his team to bring Mary Poppins to the big screen. Disney has a knack for producing films that evoke emotion and this is just further proof of that magic.


6) Star Trek Into Darkness

Sure, there is not much below the surface of this action blockbuster, but this film had everything you could hope for from a big budget summer movie: action, laughs, thrilling sequences, and one awesome villain thanks to the incredible Benedict Cumberbatch. I'd pick this movie for his performance alone. He was my favorite villain of the year and I hope to see a lot more of him at the movies. J.J. Abrams is a king at summer entertainment and here's hoping he brings that expertise to Star Wars Episode VII in 2015.


5) Captain Phillips

Director Paul Greengrass is a master at creating realistic intense situations on screen. This may just be his masterpiece with one of Tom Hanks' finest performances in his career. The tension is always present and the drama is never too far away. Greengrass does well at helping the audience understand the pirates' motives without ever justifying their horrible actions. A great piece of film making all around.


4) Prisoners

I absolutely loved this thriller. I feel that it has been forgotten since we entered the Oscar season, but I really hope the Academy acknowledges this film, especially Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. I was really impressed with Gyllenhaal's performance and what he brought to his character to make him a real human being and not just a cop with a badge. The cast is impeccable and every one of them stands up to the plate in their roles. It is smartly written and keeps you guessing while also giving you dramatic, intense, and downright terrifying moments. A superb film.


3) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I really enjoyed the first film in this series and was looking forward to this second installment, but I was blown away at how director Francis Lawrence captured the underlying and growing tension in this story. Everything is bigger and better, and this time, the games mean so much more than just being the sole survivor. I loved the feeling of a growing revolution and the cast is just fantastic. Jennifer Lawrence kills it once again as the reluctant heroine, Katniss Everdeen, and I really enjoyed the addition of new supporting cast members: Philip Seymore Hoffman, Sam Claflin, Jeffrey Wright, and Jena Malone. They were all excellent. Great story, visual effects, action, and drama.


2) Gravity

This is one of those movies that defy all expectations; the type of film that changes how future films are made. Spectacular visual effects and brilliant direction from the gifted Alfonso Cuaron, this is a movie you have to see to believe. Sandra Bullock is excellent and carries the film on her shoulders. This movie grabbed a hold of you and did not let go until the end credits. The opening sequence alone should give Cuaron the Oscar for Best Director. Absolutely amazing.


1) 12 Years a Slave

This is a powerhouse of a film that, in my opinion, was unmatched this year. Phenomenal acting all around, especially from Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender. Both deserve Oscars, and this film has my vote for Best Picture of the Year. It is an extremely difficult film to watch, much like Schindler's List, but it is one that all should see as it is an important story of a dark chapter of American history. Like I said in my review, I am honored to have seen this story.


Honorable Mentions: The Place Beyond the Pines, Mud, This Is the End, 42, The Spectacular Now, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Elysium, American Hustle, Monsters University, and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now You See Me" didn't make the list? Not even an honorable mention? Thought that was an original, visually entertaining, clever, funny masterfully crafted film. And it kept me guessing. Could easily see it in the top 5.
    reel_movie_lovers via instagram & @reelmovielovers on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw it. I hadn't heard too many good things about it so I never got around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From critics or friends? I really think you should see it. If you do, let me know what you think.

      Delete