Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2015

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2014


My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2014

Here we are yet again. Another year of film has come and gone. There were plenty of big hits and plenty of surprises, as there are every year. Most Top Ten lists have already been published or posted, but there were so many films that were technically "released" in 2014 (in NY and LA) that I was not able to see until these past few weeks when they got a wider release across the country. You may find a film or two on this list that just arrived in local theaters in 2015, but each film on this list is officially a 2014 film; some just had a limited release in 2014. I would also like to clarify that despite what some of you may think, I do not see every movie, and that goes for supposedly great films that I never got around to. I do have a job, a wife, other responsibilities, and sometimes just a lack of funds that prevent me from seeing anything and everything. That being said, I always make a strong effort to see major award contenders, high profile projects, fan favorites, as well as smaller critical darlings.

One final caveat: I have decided to make this Top 10 a "Favorite Films" list as opposed to a "Best Films" list. I truly believe that after all you can critique in a film, it often just comes down to personal preference. I will admit that there may be "better films" that did not make or are placed lower on this list, but the ultimate criterion I use in determining which films make this list and how they rank is how much I personally enjoyed the film, which usually accounts for each film's ability to warrant repeat viewings. With that out of the way here are my personal favorites for 2014:

Honorable Mentions: Boyhood, Selma, The Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Interstellar, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The LEGO Movie, Fury, John Wick, and Mockingjay - Part I.

10) Birdman

Any cinephile should adore this film. From a technical standpoint its execution and direction are brilliant. The acting is top-notch for every character, including the often goofy Zach Galifianakis. However, this is Michael Keaton's show, and it demonstrates range that he's never shown before.

9) Whiplash

One of the most intense and gripping films of 2014 was not an action thriller, it was Whiplash. Yes, a film about an aspiring jazz drummer and his perfection-obsessed instructor will make you sweat possibly more than any other film from 2014. That's how good its direction is. The acting carries the film, and the editing was some of the best I've seen all year. 

8) Snowpiercer

Though starring Chris Evans, this is actually a foreign film from director Joon-ho Bong. It establishes an interesting post-apocalyptic world where the Earth's remaining survivors live on a train. The film has some spectacular action and thrills and also provides some pensive social commentary. Chris Evans showcases some dramatic depth that may surprise you.

7) American Sniper

Though this Clint Eastwood directed biopic just hit national theaters, it has already generated quite a bit of controversy, reigniting the eternal feud between left wing liberals and right wing conservatives. I'm not here to get political. I have my position and you have yours. As a film I was enthralled with American Sniper. It may not have offered anything new or fresh to the war genre, but it surprised me with its dedication to character. Sniper is as much a character study as it is a war film, and this is why it made it on my list. Outstanding work from Eastwood and a raw performance from Bradley Cooper. 

6) Nightcrawler

One of the darker films to make this list, Nightcrawler is also an intense character study. Jake Gyllenhaal is both mesmerizing and chilling as Lou Bloom, an aspiring crime journalist. The dialogue is sharp and wicked. Gyllenhaal has proven himself to be one of the best working actors today. If you still don't think so, then you probably haven't seen this, Prisoners, or Enemy. He was more than deserving of an Oscar nomination, but was overlooked. He'll get it someday.

5) Guardians of the Galaxy

I knew what Marvel Studios was capable of, yet I still could not hide my doubt about this sci-fi adventure. All doubts were washed away once the movie started. Guardians is the definition of a fun, clever, and entertaining as hell summer blockbuster. Exciting characters, witty banter, and unlikely heroes...it really makes for a great recipe. Can't wait to see these guys again. 

4) X-Men: Days of Future Past

Many think that Nolan was the first to show audiences that superhero movies could be something more. For me it was Bryan Singer with 2000's X-Men and 2003's X2: X-Men United. The series started to lose its way after that until the surprisingly great prequel X-Men: First Class. This year, Singer returned to the franchise with maybe its best entry to date. When done right, the X-Men films are not only fun and exciting, but incredibly dramatic. All of these elements are on full display here.

3) Gone Girl

Anyone familiar with Gillian Flynn's popular novel already knew this film would shock and disturb. I was among many of the novel's fans who went to see David Fincher's adaptation opening night, and even though I knew the twists and turns before they happened, I marveled at how well they were executed. Seeing the final third of the film played out on screen actually terrified me and disturbed me more than the book did. That's saying something. I shouldn't be surprised; Fincher knows how to do that well. 

2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The first Captain America was mediocre. Its sequel? Far superior. I really enjoyed this film when I first saw it, and since it was released on blu-ray my love for it has only grown with each viewing. I love how it has a political thriller context and tone. I love how the action sequences are staged and filmed. I may even love it more than The Avengers. Bottom line: I love it.

1) The Raid 2

Anyone who knows me knows that I've been singing this movie's praises ever since I saw it. It did not play in American theaters for long, but I was fortunate enough to catch it on the big screen before it left. My friends will tell you that upon leaving the theater I was ready to fight the world! Not that I felt rage or hate for anyone, I was just so pumped up and my adrenaline was racing. It was a late show and I don't think I calmed down enough to sleep until at least a few hours afterwards. I'll be the first to admit that not everyone will like this film, many may even hate it. It's subtitled, ultra-violent, and long. Some have criticized its lengthy story, but I thought it was all developed to perfection. Each action sequence was somehow more exciting and shocking than the previous, and the story felt like an amalgamation of The Departed and The Godfather, but with the most insane martial arts action I've ever seen. Yeah, sign me up. Now I want to watch it again.

I actually was skeptical about 2014 being a strong year in film; thankfully I was wrong. That being said, 2015 is poised to be an unforgettable year. Hell, Star Wars is coming out this year! So, what were some of your favorites of 2014? There were many that I still enjoyed that didn't make this list, tell me yours.

*Possible contenders that I have yet to see: A Most Violent Year, Inherent Vice, The Babadook, and Big Hero 6.   



No comments:

Post a Comment