Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2015

My Top Ten Most Anticipated Films For The Rest Of 2015



My Top 10 Most Anticipated Films for the Rest of 2015

For the past couple years I have created this list highlighting upcoming films for the months of July through December. Many of these films already have a lot of attention surrounding them, but hopefully you'll find a couple here that you were unaware of. 2015 has already seen some instant hits beloved by audiences and critics alike, and it's seen its share of crap as well. But in my opinion, the year is only getting started. There are some very exciting films that will be released in the second half of the year. Here are my most anticipated films for the second half of the 2015:


10) Ant-Man (July 17)


The Golden Age of Marvel is in full swing with the studio producing hit after hit, amassing over $8.5 billion at the worldwide box office. Can Ant-Man continue this impressive track record? Much like Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man is a lesser-known property that will add a new type of film to the superhero universe: a heist film. Many have abandoned home for the project after the departure of director Edgar Wright, but I still see potential here. The film had its first press screening last night and the critic reaction has been fairly positive. I love a good heist film, and I think Paul Rudd will fit in nicely in the Marvel universe, especially when teamed up with other Avengers in future projects.




9) Legend (Oct 2)


It's simple: I love true stories, I love crime dramas, and I love Tom Hardy. Oh and there's two of him here. With the Oscar-winning screenwriter of Mystic River and L.A. Confidential, I definitely have high hopes for this one, especially after watching the latest trailer.



8) Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (July 31)


Say what you will about Tom Cruise and his personal life, but this guy is one of the best entertainers ever. Which other actor will scale the tallest building in the world or hang from the side of a cargo plane as it takes off? Yes, that scene in the latest trailer really is Cruise hanging on to the side of a plane; no green screen and nothing but earth below him. Judging from the trailers, this new installment seems to deliver on the action that has been reinvigorated in Mission: Impossible 3 and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. It's also good to see Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg back for another mission.



7) The Martian (Oct 2)


Despite some recent misfires, Ridley Scott is still one of my favorite directors working today; however, he needs a film that restores him to his former glory. If The Martian doesn't deliver, then his best days may be behind him. Fortunately, this film has an incredible cast with Matt Damon front and center. But let's not forget Jessica Chastain, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kate Mara, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, and Sean Bean. The trailer may reveal a bit too much of the plot, but nevertheless it looks stunning and riveting.



6) Spectre (Nov 6)



Daniel Craig is back for his fourth outing as the iconic British spy, and back with him is Skyfall director Sam Mendes. We've only seen a small teaser for the November release, but it promises an organization bent on bringing down MI6, led by the mysterious Franz Oberhauser (the amazing Christoph Waltz). We probably don't have Craig for too much longer in the role, so let's enjoy his incarnation while we can.



5) The Hateful Eight (Dec 25)



Quentin Tarantino is back with an all-new western. For some time it seemed like Tarantino would never make the film after the script was leaked a couple years ago. Fortunately, he regrouped, reworked the script, and is set to deliver his epic western on Christmas Day. It's sure to be a bloody good time. Plus, who doesn't want to see Kurt Russell's epic handle bar mustache? Hopefully, we get a trailer very soon.

4) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part II (Nov 20)



The finale to The Hunger Games franchise hits theaters this November, and it's sure to be a full-on revolution on President Snow and the Capitol. I know many felt underwhelmed by Part I of Mockingjay, but people, it was half of a film. I have a feeling that when viewed together, this two-part finale will be just what fans are hoping for. Having read the books, I also suspect that we'll get a bigger finale than we got in the novel, which is fine by me. As a whole, I think this has been one of the better franchises of the past decade.



3) Sicario (Sept 18)



I had never heard of this film until I saw its trailer a week or so ago. After seeing the tension-filled trailer, this film skyrocketed to number 3 of my most anticipated. Director Denis Villeneuve came crashing onto my radar with his stellar film, Prisoners, and the mind-bender, Enemy. It looks like he brings his talents to this drug thriller that centers on an FBI Agent played by the enormously talented Emily Blunt. Whom can she trust, and will her ideals come crashing down as she battles the ruthless cartels of Mexico? Man, the trailer had me sweating. I can't wait for this.




2) The Revenant (Dec 25)



Hot off directing the Oscar-winning film, Birdman, Alejandro González Iñárritu is set to deliver this revenge thriller set in the 1820s, which will pit Leonardo DiCaprio against Tom Hardy. This project screams Oscar-caliber work both in front of and behind the camera. The film has gone over its shooting schedule since Iñárritu is using only natural light to capture the raw atmosphere of the film's locations. Could this be the year Leo walks away with an Oscar? We'll have a better idea once a trailer drops.


1) Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (Dec 18)



I mean, come on. Was there really any question what my number one most anticipated movie would be? Could it suck? Of course. But judging from the last teaser, fans of the original trilogy will have their faith and loyalty rewarded. As I watched the second teaser and experienced a flood of unadulterated joy, the thought kept returning to me, "There is nothing like Star Wars." It was my childhood, and it filled my imagination with absolute wonder. Words cannot express my excitement. "Chewy, we're home." AHHHHHH!!!!!


So that's my list. What did I miss? Which movies are you looking forward to seeing in the coming months? Sound off below!

Honorable Mentions: Black Mass, Bridge of Spies, Creed, EverestSteve Jobs, The Walk, Southpaw, Fantastic Four, and The Peanuts Movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment