Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Most Anticipated Films For The Rest Of 2014



I actually meant to make a post like this earlier in the year where I would highlight the films I am most excited for in 2014. Well, now we are just about halfway through the year, and already we have had some truly wonderful films. Honestly, it's been a great year. It would be hard coming up with a Top Ten for 2014 and we still have six more months of movies. It's an exciting year to be a film fan. We still have plenty of exciting films to look forward to, and there will be plenty that will surprise us. So with that in mind, I have decided to pick out ten remaining films of 2014 that I am most excited for.


10) The Drop

I was always going to see James Gandolfini's final film, but add an incredible cast including Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace with the author of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, and Shutter Island writing the screenplay, and I am incredibly excited. The trailer quickly establishes the dark and intense tone for the movie. I have high hopes that The Drop will stand as one of the year's best crime thrillers. Also, actor Matthias Schoenaerts looks like he is going to stand toe to toe with Hardy and Gandolfini. Count me in. In theaters September 12.



9) Gone Girl

David Fincher is one of my favorite directors. This mystery thriller is based of the best-selling novel of the same name and stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. The author herself, Gillian Flynn, is adapting her own novel for the screenplay, so fans can expect the movie to represent the source material very well. However, I believe I read that Flynn said that there would still be some surprises even for fans of the novel. Affleck has been on a career high thanks to his stellar work behind the camera, and with Fincher directing him, I am excited to see what he does in this role. In theaters October 3.


8) Boyhood

Those immersed in the movie world have already heard of Richard Linklater's amazing feat in filmmaking. The film has already premiered at various film festivals, including Sundance in my home state, and has been received extremely well by critics. Linklater has done something that no other filmmaker has. For the past 12 years, Linklater has been making this movie chronicling the life of a young boy as he ages into a young man. You literally get to see this boy's life unfold in front of your eyes over 12 years. Many are already claiming it the best film of the year and the front runner for Best Picture. In theaters July 18.


7) The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies



I still do not think that The Hobbit warranted three separate films, but I really enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug so I can officially say that I am looking forward to the concluding chapter of Peter Jackson's series. It has been nice to revisit Middle-Earth in these films, and Smaug was awesome in the last movie. We still haven't had a trailer yet, but I am expecting one by the end of summer. However, I do not need a trailer. I know I'll be there opening day for this one. In theaters December 17.

6) Guardians of the Galaxy



Marvel Studios has been pretty consistent with releasing entertaining films while establishing a broad, shared cinematic universe. With Guardians, Marvel will expand their universe even more. At first, I was not too thrilled about this movie, but as the trailers have been released, my interest has quickly increased. After seeing the latest international trailer I am completely on board with this movie. I love Chris Pratt, the tone of the movie looks like a lot of fun, and the effects look visually stunning. In theaters August 1.


5) Fury

I am a big fan of Brad Pitt. He has made some great films throughout his long career, and this looks like it could be among his best. David Ayer has written the script and is directing, and while he hasn't always been consistent with his movies (this year's Sabotage), when he's on it can be quite powerful. Training Day was well written as was End of Watch. The film tells the story of a tank team making a final push through Germany during the final days of WWII. I am always interested in films surrounding this period in history, and the trailer for Fury has me very excited. In theaters November 14.


4) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes



I was never a fan of the original Planet of the Apes series, but I was pleasantly surprised by the awesome prequel Rise of the Planet of the Apes that came out in 2011. Now we get to see where the story goes from there. The motion capture work was incredible in the previous film, and I hear that it is taken to a whole new level with this newest installment. It recently had its film premiere in San Francisco and the early word on Twitter is that it is a superior sequel and one of the best of the year. I am so excited and it's only a couple weeks away. In theaters July 11.


3) Exodus: Gods and Kings



I realize that Ridley Scott has disappointed many film goers with his last few movies, but I still think he is one of today's best directors and you cannot argue how visually stunning his films are. This is Scott's retelling of the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. Christian Bale is no idiot with his film choices, and the fact that he has chosen to work with Scott in portraying Moses is enough for me. Also, Joel Edgerton and Aaron Paul costar. And just imagine how amazing the parting of the red sea will look with Ridley Scott bringing the sequence to life. I'm willing to bet the movie will be worth it for that scene alone. No trailer yet, but I cannot wait! In theaters December 12.

2) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I



Luckily, this series has been treated way more seriously than the horrific Twilight films. I think we were all a little surprised by how great Catching Fire turned out to be last year. Though Mockingjay is my least favorite novel of the series, I truly believe the filmmakers have the ability to make these last two movies better than the source material. They have done such a great job at expanding this world beyond Katniss' point of view. Unlike in the novel, we are going to see both sides of the war in this movie, and that is a very exciting prospect. The recent viral marketing video is extremely creepy and effective. I can't wait to see a full trailer. In theaters November 21.


1) Interstellar



Directed and cowritten by Christopher Nolan and starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Casey Affleck, Ellen Burstyn, Wes Bentley, Topher Grace, John Lithgow, and Michael Caine...that's all I need to know. But, add the fact that this about an interstellar voyage involving wormholes in space, along with McConaughey claiming that this movie is Nolan's most ambitious project yet, and I officially cannot contain my excitement. The trailer is beautiful and looks to be Nolan's most emotional movie to date. I know we haven't seen anything yet. In theaters November 7.

Bring on the last half of 2014!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment