Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Top Ten of 2012



This year was a great year for movies. As I was reviewing the list of movies released this year, I kept thinking how difficult it would be to compose my Top 10 and then rank them! As always, I did not see everything and am always willing to reconsider my list once I do see the major contenders. Some of those I have not yet seen this year include: The Master, Wreck-It Ralph, Cloud Atlas, The Impossible, and End of Watch. So let's get to it. Here are my favorite 10 films of 2012, love 'em or hate 'em:

10) The Grey
Some may have forgotten this one because it came out in January this year. It is an intense thriller of survival with a great performance from Liam Neeson. What made this film surprising was its thoughts on life, death, and God. It had a very poetic tone to it, something that is unexpected in the thriller genre. I enjoy the movie the more I watch it.

9) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Being a big fan of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy, I was somewhat skeptical on how Jackson could bring back that same magic for a story that is, in my opinion, inferior to the others. And how exactly is this story supposed to last for three more movies. Well, judging from from this first entry, my reservations have dwindled. Jackson does a fine job in bringing the audience back to Middle-Earth and Martin Freeman is great as Bilbo Baggins! Seems like he should've been in the series from the beginning.

8) Silver Linings Playbook
I appreciate a good romantic comedy now and again, but there really wasn't one to be found this year...until this little gem came out. Director David O. Russell takes the formula for a rom-com and applies it to two characters with emotional problems. Add some great dialogue and awesome chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence and you've got a winner. It is a charming breath of fresh air.

7) Looper
This movie did what Inception did two years ago. It was an original concept and unique take on the sci-fi genre. Writer/Director Rian Johnson takes the idea of time travel and completely reinvents it. The previews don't even dive in to the meat of the story. Great acting from both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis. Emily Blunt also makes a fine turn. Great cinematography and intensity! Can't wait to buy it tomorrow.
Now here's where things get tricky. My picks for the top 5 are almost all equal in my eyes. I love them all for different reasons. Just know there is not much difference between number 5 and number 1.

6) The Avengers
Bringing together so many headlining superheroes could have been disastrous on so many levels. Good thing Joss Whedon was in control of this one. This is one of the funnest movies you'll ever see. The action is spectacular and there's plenty of fun to be had by all involved. "Make a move, Reindeer Games." Can't wait for the sequel!

5) The Hunger Games
From the moment I finished reading The Hunger Games I thought to myself, "This could be a great movie". It had to be done right. I really did not want this movie to come off as bad as the Twilight movies. Thankfully, it was treated very seriously. It was cast perfectly. Jennifer Lawrence IS Katniss Everdeen. The movie is dramatic, thrilling, and haunting...everything I had hoped it would be. I'm stoked for "Catching Fire" next November.

4) Argo
Ben Affleck. Here is a guy that was on the downward spiral out of Hollywood. Turns out that he is a highly skilled director. "Argo" is his third and quite possibly best film. It is a remarkable true story and is expertly told on screen. At times, the movie is quite funny thanks to John Goodman and Alan Arkin. At other times it is terrifying. And the last 30-40 minutes are crazy intense! I loved it! Plain and simple.

3) Zero Dark Thirty
Wow. Here is an ultra-realistic thriller brought to you by the director and screenwriter team that brought us "The Hurt Locker". Director Kathryn Bigelow stages a detailed and intense look into the decade long manhunt for Osama Bin Laden. Whatever details may be fictionalized will be difficult to find. Everything seems real and plausible. One of the best CIA/war films to be produced in the last decade. Powerful stuff.

2) The Dark Knight Rises
There are some who have found too many faults and plot holes in this final entry of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight legend. I do acknowledge that some plot points could've and maybe should've been different. But I have tremendous admiration for what Nolan has done. The expectations for this movie were ridiculously high. It almost seemed like he was doomed to fail. Instead, Nolan gives Batman one hell of a finish! The action is awesome! Tom Hardy as Bane is a formidable foe. I love what he did with the character. I love his voice (I know not all do). How much he is able to convey through is eyes is remarkable. Christian Bale gives his best performance as Bruce Wayne. Wally Pfister's camera work is top notch. And Hans Zimmer is the man when it comes to composing music for action epics. I'm ready to watch for the 10th time.

1) Les Miserables
This one is pure indulgence. I grew up on this music and have been waiting for the better part of my life for this to hit the big screen. I love how they chose to sing the songs. It's not always pretty, but that's the point. It is emotionally charged and acted better than ever before. I had the chills throughout the entire thing. I was ready to head right back into the theater for a repeat viewing. After all these years, I still never tire of the music or seeing the musical on stage. Now, I will likely never tire of watching this movie, the most moving and inspiring movie I've seen in a long long time. I need to see it again and again. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathway, and Eddie Redmayne have my votes for Oscars and this movie has my vote for Best Picture. If only I got to vote.

Honorable Mentions: Honorable Mentions: 21 Jump Street, Life of Pi, Snow White and the Huntsman, Prometheus, Lincoln, and Django Unchained.

No comments:

Post a Comment